Review the basics of fistulas and the assess nursing considerations for enterocutaneous fistula management. Enterocutaneous fistulas can be a frustrating and disheartening experience for the patient and family members. Often, it represents a new or additional complication or unexpected development of an ongoing disease process. It can also be a challenge for the clinician as well. Understanding the development, treatment, and nursing considerations for effective fistula management can help us as clinicians, to better treat and manage this patient population.
Upon completion of the course, the learner will be able to:
- Define an Enterocutaneous Fistula (ECF)
- List the predisposing factors leading the formation of an ECF
- Discuss the clinical presentation of a patient with an ECF
- Describe the management of a patient with an ECF
- Describe the skin care related to an ECF List the nursing goals of caring for a patient with an ECF
This course is intended for nurses.