Because of the collaborative nature of the profession, effective communication is vital. It is a critical element in the process of case management as information related to the creation, implementation, and evaluation of the client's plan of care must be accurately and completely shared amongst the members to ensure that his individual needs are met. A professional case manager who has trouble communicating effectively may have problems performing the job.
After completing this course, the learner should be able to:
- List the elements of positive communication
- Outline the components of oral communication
- Describe the art of active listening
- Cite how a professional case manager can effectively communicate with the interdisciplinary team members with whom he or she works
- Explain techniques to enhance a professional case manager's communication with their clients
- Identify methods for a professional case manager to communicate with a client's family/caregivers
- Review skills needed by a professional case manager to communicate effectively with payers
- State elements of documentation that must be made by a case manager after each encounter with a team member, external providers, payers, or the client and his family/caregivers
This course was designed for case managers and other healthcare workers in long term care who need effective communication strategies.
1.0 CE for Nurses