This course defines health literacy and discusses the impact low health literacy has on both the health and economy of the US population. This course identifies populations vulnerable to low health literacy and explores methods to help alleviate low health literacy. Through knowledge and awareness, health literacy and patient outcomes in the US can be improved.
After completing this course, the learner should be able to:
- Define Health Literacy
- List five skills for good health literacy
- List populations at risk for poor health literacy
- List vulnerable populations at risk for poor health literacy
- Explain five reasons people struggle with health literacy
- Explain how nurses play in integral role in assessing health literacy
- Explain methods to assist patients with low health literacy
- List 7 steps to provide clear communication
This course is designed for nurses and other healthcare and caregiving professionals.